Saturday, February 20, 2016

Introduction

I do not feel as isolated and rejected as the biblical Ishmael.  Neither am I a nomadic outsider, yet protected by God.  So why use this famous line for my genealogy blog?

Genealogy allows me to explore certain details of my existence.  In this futile attempt in self-discovery, I can at least describe some of the people to whom I am related by blood and marriage.  I suppose my premise, that one cannot understand oneself simply by tracing family relationships, is the analogy of being separated from God.  I am free to interpret myself without regard to my discoveries.

So why bother?  Well, it is like so many aspects of life.  My genealogy can be described, and in some sense it must be relevant for my self discovery, limitations notwithstanding.  So, here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment